Social Scientist – Thessaloniki or Epirus, Greece
Job Title: Social Scientist
Department: Program / ACE Project
Location: Thessaloniki or Epirus, Greece
Salary: L3; S1-S7
Period: 3 months’ probation period with possibility of extension
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina,Kosovo,Indonesia,Mozambique, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. Since 2018, ASB Greece has provided support at five accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada, Konitsa (closed in 2018), Doliana (closed in 2021) and Ag. Eleni). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOMimplementedthe “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focused on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. In 2020/21 ASB with the funding of DG HOME and in coordination with IOM implemented the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”. In addition to this, as of October 1st 2021, ASB with the support of UNICEF and in cooperation with DRC is implementing the program All Children in Education. ASB continues its activities into 2022. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
1. Job Overview/Summary:
The ACE project team collaborates with the rest of the ASB teams and cooperates closely with the Greek authorities, other public organisations, and actors. Overall management and supervision are provided by the Project Coordinator, whilst the direct line management in the field teams are being provided by the Senior Teachers.
For the specific job opening, ASB is looking to employ a qualified professional to work in its siteas Social Scientist (social worker/psychologist)
The Social Scientist is an essential part of the ACE Project team and reports towards the Senior Teacher and the Project Coordinator in line with ASB’s and Donor’s regulation. The social scientist is responsible for providing daily psychosocial support for refugee children, adolescents, and their parents in the site of assignment. The depending on the changing needs, preferences, and operational requirements, ASB Social Scientist will be required to implement one or more of the elements of the ASB educational programme. Within the framework of the program “All children in Education” operating throughout Greece, Homework and Creative Activity Centres (HCAC) are operating based on educational needs per age group, including language literacy, mathematics and science, education in children’s rights and citizenship, as well as social-emotional learning. Within the HCACs and in cooperation with the senior teachers and educators, social scientists (social workers, psychologists) are responsible for the provision of psychosocial support services in cooperation with the teachers of the program, supported by cultural mediators.
The candidateis required to bea proactive person and a good team player willing to support the population of concern and the NFE team at the site during delivery of services and implementation of activities.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Providing administrative support in the context of children’s enrolment in public schools and monitoring school dropouts in cooperation with the Education Coordinators and the non-formal education team.
- Supporting non-formal education team in outreach – door to door approach, to identify children who can join the program.
- Supporting teachers in the classroom especially when children with behavioural difficulties and learning difficulties are identified.
- Identifying children with signs of child abuse and neglect and providing support at the level of investigation of needs and referral to specialized child protection services.
- Keep a record of children’s initial assessment data and monitor referrals until they are fully received by the child protection carrier.
- Organizing an identification and referral system for children at risk including services such as medical, legal, psychological, shelter etc.
- In collaboration with senior teacher and education expert organizing and implementing group activities within the classroom aiming at the mental empowerment of children as well as informing them about issues of protection, gender discrimination, organization of life skills workshops, mental health education, etc.
- Individual and group meetings with children and parents, counselling, on issues related to learning difficulties, difficulties in behaviour, prevention of child abuse and neglect; providing specialized support to parents on combating school dropout and resolving challenges that might arise regarding school attendance and children’s needs.
- Collaborating with Cultural Mediators when needed for the provision of social services or other required activities.
- Providing training to the teachers of the program on issues such as: Code of Conduct, prevention and treatment of child protection incidents, child protection policy, PFA etc.
- In collaboration with the senior teacher of each team, acts as a person of reference for the school and jointly organizes actions within the community and the school community for the integration of children.
- Continuously cooperating and supporting the non-formal education team.
- Closely cooperate with other team members, passing on crucial information and expressing the need of action clearly and concisely.
- Directly support and coach beneficiaries through the usage of simple communication and moral uplifting techniques.
- Regular and ad hoc reporting and data keeping.
- Communicates and co-operates with the other departments of ASB and with the community.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the direct supervisor
- With the support of the Senior Teacher and Education Expert communicates and consults with parents and the community.
- Any other task as required by the Senior Management Team
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles
- Acts in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns
- Fully comply with the ASB HR procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
2. Reports to:
- Senior Teacher
3. Staff Management:
a. Directly: None
b. Indirectly: None
- Education Expert
- ASB field teams
- Other field actors and authorities
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or Psychology
- License to work as Social Worker/Psychologist will be considered as an asset
- Master’s degree will be considered as an asset
- Minimum two (2) years of professional work experience as a Social Scientist (social worker/psychologist), with at least one (1) year of experience working with NGOs and/or with minority groups or within the civil society sector, preferably working with vulnerable groups.
- Experience in community engagement, ability to identify students’ needs.
- Cross-cultural awareness and flexibility.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, listening and observation skills
- Ability to create a trustworthy, supportive, respective, and interactive communication pathway with parents and children of all ages, background, and diversity.
- Well organized and efficient, with ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate.
- Good report writing skills.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to deal with strict deadlines and to handle pressure
- Strong sense of personal integrity
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, ability to improvise flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
- Fluency in both Greek and English is required
- Proficient with MS Outlook, Excel, and Word business software.
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Clear understanding of how to manage sensitive and confidential information
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
1. Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
2. On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
6. Productive attitude to excellence
7. Recognition and rewarding
8. Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
9. Willingness for the extra mile
10. Collaboration for professional evolution, training, and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance.
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit, if applicable to the position.
7. Base of Position
Thessaloniki or Epirus, Greece
8. Length of contract
3 months’ probation period with possibility of extension
9. How to apply
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: [email protected] clearly stating “SOCIAL SCIENTIST/SKG” for THESSALONIKI or “SOCIAL SCIENTIST/EPI” for EPIRUS in the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is January 30th at 23:59 hrs.
Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to urgency of the position, ASB has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to [email protected] ”.